Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Number 13 a Good One

While catching the last of the afternoon rays of sun by the pool I finished The Outlander by Gil Adamson my 13th read for the Challenge and my final read for Canada Reads 2009. I was pleasantly surprised with this book. I had originally thought it was going to be a wild west epic sort of novel, and thus not really something I would be interested in. But it turned out to be a lovely story with a little bit of mystery, some adventure and a little bit of a love story mixed in. It was beautifully written and I found myself completely engrossed in the story of 19 year old Mary Boulton and she flees from the death of her husband by her hand in hot persuit by his brothers. Fantastic read. But, Book of Negros remains my number 1 choice for Canada Reads.

3 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed Outlander too. I still haven't decided which one is my favourite yet. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read it, but I don't think it stands a chance on winning Canada Reads. They tend to steer away from books this popular. I suspect Fruit will win.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fruit was great, but could it really beat Book of Negros which was a fuller story? They are totally different so very difficult to judge for sure

    ReplyDelete